Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chop, Cut, Cook.

Or more accurately: Chop the onions, Cut your finger, Cook the onions!!! How the heck do you chop onions without cutting a finger? How do you make them all symmetrical? And most importantly, how do you get rid of that smell on your fingers?
Sorry I haven't written in a while but I have been busy taking an intensive cooking course with mom, the best cook in the whole wide world! Ever since I got married (almost 15 years ago!) there was always someone to cook for us. It was either mom who sent us food or she'd taught our help to make us the foods we liked. I'd always reserved my energy to cooking for my dinner parties, and that usually consisted of Internataional foods, and never Arabic stews and such.
So, to cut a long story short, these past few days have been a true eye-opening experience for me. We made so many things that make you go Mmmmmm! We made riz bi foul, mnazzalet el batenjen, mloukhieh masrieh, bamieh bi lahmeh, wara2 3inab (yes, I rolled them! However, it turned out that I'd rolled them inside out!!!! How was I supposed to know that vine leaves weren't 'double-sided'?), 2 kinds of white rice, basmati and Egyptian (never had a clue b4!), plus at least 3 new kinds of soups, including yummy chicken and beef stocks (and a soup u do when u make a mistake cooking a stew!)
Mom and I had never spent so much time together, under one roof, and I can't tell you the mother-daughter bonding that goes on under that roof! She's been delightful company and wonderful support (despite her own backache) plus never-ending love supply to me and Zee. She wants to go back home on Sunday. She says haram dad's been alone for too long. I dunno what we'll do without her. We've gotten so used to her, it's gonna be very difficult to let her go. But she promised to come back with dad, so that's something to look forward to.

'Chop, Cut, Cook.' Sounds like, 'duck, duck, goose' or that game 'paper, rock, shears' (?). The phrase has been stuck with me ALL day! So has the smell of onions!!! Any tips on how to get rid of smells of onion and garlic? Plus, how do you get rid of cooking smells when u live in a small house and your kitchen is smack in the middle of the living room? OK, u open the windows for a while, light a candle... nah, doesn't work! And finally how do you chop without cutting fingers? (I bought a machine with a blade that's supposed to do the job, but it doesn't work properly, and it has so many parts that u end up doing more washing-up than ever PLUS cutting the onions manually (and eventually cutting your fingers!) The worst part is when u put on a plaster; then u can't chop at all!!!

Well, awaiting your tips for a better kitchen experience,
I leave you to ponder on ALL those yummies,

For those who want explanations and translations (Christina for instance), I will gladly send u recipes if u r interested, or even cook 'em for u when (and if) I ever see you!

Hope I didn't make u too hungry,
night night
Hala

15 comments:

hania said...

Every day you teach us a new kind of love… we admire your courage and this endless love that flowing over.
A rose with Kisses and hugs… HapPy Valentine!!!

p.s… to get rid of cooking smell boil vinegar with water or you can try this: cinnamon stick+vanilla essence+orange peel with water to boil… Great smell!

h;

Rima said...

cure for onion and garlic fingers: grab the stainless steel faucet and rub! guaranteed to work

i'll be back

oushi said...

yummie yummie. sounds very good.
thomas brother told me only 2 days ago that one could boil ginger to get rid of cooking smell. i didn't try it myself yet, but he is a chef.. so i would trust his experience.
say a warm hello to your wonderful mom
you are always on my mind
love
oushi

Cristina said...

mmmm che fame!! I should had lunch before leaving my comment... Really I didn't understood all the dishes of your menu and I am waiting for your explanations and receips....
I don't want to cook them but close to my village they open a libanese restaurant and reading your post today I feel like testing it.... I wait for your suggestions only to start and decide what to choose because then I will opt for a really lebanese dinner cooked by you!!
Thanks
Cristina

zeenam said...

Not a chef myself so I have no clue on odor removal, etc. but i am envious u have someone to teach you all those delicious dishes
I myselg go to the lebanese market and by the prepared foods because the all American burger just doesn't cut it.

by the way
it's "rock, paper, scissors and shoot!"


my love to all hala

Bobbie said...

I'll tell you how to keep from cutting fingers if you will send recipes. I'll get Rima to send you my email ok. Deal?, Deal!

When cutting anything, always keep your fingers curled slightly. Think of it this way: hold the item with your fingernails only, that is the tips of your fingers and then curl your fingers slightly. This way they are not in the line of fire. My husband is an expert in cutting stuff. I mean you could use a micrometer on it afterwards, but it takes him forever......I cut quicker, but not so neatly :)


I use oil candles and will light 2 or three and that usually does it. Several candles should do the trick too. As well as opening the windows at the same time. I don't like spraying stuff to get rid of the odor, it only covers it up and is bad for my asthma.

So glad you have had this bonding time with your daughter and your mother. Lucky you!

Rima said...

perfect explanation for cutting anything without injury, Bobbie - that's what i do, but was not conscious of doing it.

kitchen smells: oil candles are great except in my tiny kitchen where 2 tornadoes keep passing through. so I make a citrus pot-bouilli (as opposed to pot-pourri) - orange peels, lemon peels, a cinnamon stick or cloves, use your nose to create a smell you like. Nothing like baking cookies to do the trick though :-)

mirwan said...

i had to laugh out loud reading your thoughts on cooking....and the smells emanating from the bottom of your door into the apartment hallways. the neighbors must think a bunch of immigrants moved in :-) !!!! its wonderful.

you also sound like the hala we know, up and about and full of energy. maybe it's your brothers non-anemic marrow giving you iron rich blood. but eitherway....go with the flow!

as for the cure of smelly fingers....i haven't cooked since university (and i promise you the world is better for that)....but i remember someone telling me.....purell....soap....or maybe some gardening in rich soil. then your hands can stink of dirt.

sending the love

Unknown said...

hee hee confession at this end -- I just learnt from you that vine leaves are double sided -- fancy that!!! As for getting rid of smells apart from teh candles and open windows try spraying fabreze -- there is one special that eliminates odours -- works a bit.
one great way as well is just putting lemons peel (basically just the lemons after you sueeze them) on top of the stove -- put them on that flat metal thing we use when we make rice, it gives off a nice lemony smell in the house!!!!! you can tell by the way i describe parts and name things that I am just as amazing as you are in the kitchen -- hee hee
enjoy your time with your mom -- precious days and memories -- nothing like a mom daughter bond -- I love it
kisses to all

lino said...

Haloul and Co.
YUMMM mouth watering entry that's for sure- remind me to give you a book called Crescent by Diana Abu Jaber- a book all about love and cooking it is a beautiful story you'll love it- we miss you here!

taggy said...

halloulti, ya allah your words are always like music to my ears i always sweep away and reach in my thoughts to you i can even smell the tasty dishes you were talking about upto the onions on the hands hehe...wallahi its great having your mom around ...kisses to u , her and sweet zeee who am sure is enjoying tetas cooking.love you halloul i have no new tips other than what is said above except that i guarantee that u can get rid of onion and garlic fingers from running water by grabing something stainless steel it could be a spoon or a knife it works all the time...love you halloul ,,,always on our minds..taggy and the girlzzzzzzzzzzz

Joy Logan said...

My husband is the cook. I am the baker.

taggy said...

haloul i just read today that you can get rid of onion smell and garlic on hands by rubbing them in "bin" arabic coffee and then wash them with lemon ,,,try it and let me know..

love you taggy

tiger said...

Yummieeeeeee, all the nice 'yakhnis'. And on top: from your (chpped) fingers. God, they must be delicious.
Next should be 'kibbe'!!!

Hajjal Sannine said...

Rock Paper Scissors Maaaaam :)