Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time for A REALITY CHECK!

It's been six months since I arrived in Sutton.
It's been five months since I underwent my bone marrow transplant.
It's been three months since Zeena arrived in Sutton for treatment.
It's been one month since I started reducing the medications.
It's been one hell of a bumpy ride!!!

So far, I still haven't recovered completely. My feet are still swollen and they hurt. My energy levels aren't as high as they used to be. My patience runs out very quickly, and my concentration levels aren't up to their usual norm. I am tired, sick of ALL this. I want to move on, get on with my life. I want to have the energy to care for Zee and be with her and help her, and not feel sick whenever she does, or hate to go to the hospital whenever she needs to go cuz I couldn't stand the smell of it any longer.

As you can probably tell, the last few days have not been very pleasant. First, on Monday, my doc told me there was a test he needed me to repeat just to make sure of something. That, of course, made me worried and had me ask a million questions, one of which was if I might get the cancer back and would have to go through the whole thing again. His answer was 'yes, it is possible, but not in this case now' which made my stomach churn and grind.
REALITY CHECK: I am still sick. I am a sick person. I may relapse any day. I have no control of my life!!!

Then, the next day, Zee was feeling very sick and was vomiting ALL day. She was whining and crying with pain which made me feel helpless and at the same time enraged. We had to take her to hospital and give her some intraveneous meds before she started feeling a bit better. It wasn't until well into Wednesday that her whining stopped and her smile returned.
REALITY CHECK: my five-year old daughter is sick, and she will be for a while, and I dunno if I can walk that way one more time.

Today, after cooking and shopping and the usual bologne, I called Home Office to check on my passport. I had sent it to have my visa extended. I was told that my application was still 'in progress' and that it usually takes 4 to 14 weeks to return the passports!!! You can imagine how I felt since I was planning to leave for Beirut next week! There's nothing I can do really, except stop the application and retrieve the passport at least 'ten working days later' (and of course, lose the money).
REALITY CHECK: I am stuck with no passport and no idea when I can return home and there's nothing I can do about it.

So, you have an idea of how I feel now. Oh, and earlier today, I had lost my credit card, which enraged me cuz I hardly ever lose anything. I usually know exactly where everything is.
REALITY CHECK: shit happens!

Ah, and to top this ALL up, BA told me I couldn't use my tickets to return to Beirut cuz they were void, given that I 'hadn't shown up' on the specified date in February. How the heck was I supposed to show up when I was busy between hospital wards and bottles of medicine?! Plus, noone had told me I had to call if I couldn't show up, and I was told I had bought 'open tickets'. Open tickets my ...
REALITY CHECK: I have to buy three new tickets!

Baseeta, killo mnee7, as long as health is good AND I get my passport soon.
Hamdillah again for ALL. It could have been much worse. I just dunno how much more I can handle. I'm sure, rather hopeful, that my luck will turn around soon and I will get to live a 'normal', boring life, with work worries and routine and kids' nagging and all the lovely stuff that come with it!

A good friend of mine told me that people in my situation come out of it either more religious, or more philosophical or totally insane! I think I fall in the last category here! Or at least I am on my way there.

insanely,
halalouloulaaaaahhhh

12 comments:

lebanesa said...

Argh - hala - a down moment. too many things to handle all at once. setbacks after some more hopeful and positive times.
A huge strong hug from one of your many admirers, a stranger who cares about you and believes you will be through this. Your humour will return. It is horrible, but... 6 months ago no-one knew for sure how your treatment would go. 5 months ago you might not have survived the transplant.
You would not have been there for Wiss and he would have had to cope with the 3 darlings and your sweetie's illness on top of losing you. All alone.
End of story. You are alive, things are crap, but you are there and you will be strong and happy again. Tomorrow you will be more cheerful and everything will be sorted out. Nothing compares to the fact that you have come so far and are still here with us.
Keep well, sleep well and have a good day tomorrow.
Kisses and hugs
xxxxxx

SOSCRAPPED said...

Couldn't agree more with Frances. You're an amazing woman Hala but you have to keep things in perspective. REALITY CHECK: You're much better off today than when you started!

Its true that shit happens, but you could see things in a celestine prophecy way and say that it happens for a reason... to lead you down a certain path... to reach a certain destiny which is yours. REALITY CHECK: I'm crap at this philosophical mumbo jumbo!

The thing is Hala, you are surrounded by people who admire you and love you. You haven't had it easy so far, but as you say it could have been worse. YOu could have had to go through that all alone... imagine. Always try to look at the bright side of things. You're tired and fed up but soon, inchallah it will all be over and you'll be going home to your lovely couch!!
REALITY CHECK: you're an amazing person! Persevere!!!

Tala said...

Habibteh Haloul,XXXXXX
WE are all feeling with you.I hug you close to my heart and try to give you back what I have been taken from you: COURAGE to face it all.
Reality Check: ditto to all what Frances said. No one can put it more clearly. Thanks Frances :)

Reality Check: WE ALL LOVE YOU INSANLY, ADMIRE YOU TREMENDOULSY, ARE LEARNING from your COURAGE and the way you are handling ALL this insanity.
Ya m3alemeteh (Leon's Nickname for you) yalla, al hamdilah, All is well, all is much much better, all is good. EVERYTHING IS GREAT.
KEEP WALKING
TONS of LOVE, HUGS and KISSES

Tala said...

SORRY for the spelling mistakes. I kind of do that when I am emotional :)

taggy said...

insanely halloulllllllaaaah , i love you mwah even more with your insanity , as promised inshallah ALL WILL BE GOOD...from me and zeezee(2) and karma..xoxox

oushi said...

my dearest, reading your checklist reminds me of an idea about life my father once had: he said that one could read his life like a balance sheet... look at all important moments that have happen to you, the good things and the bad... just add them together... in the end you'll find more credits.
so, this might also be a way of counting and checking... in general... but for now of course 6 months in sutton have caused a huge loss on your balance sheet... temporarily!
please, feel free to choose if this analogy was either religious, or more philosophical or totally insane (but don't tell my father if you decide on "insane") ;-)
i love you

mirwan said...

it's been tough. many people would've given up many months ago. many would not have made it so far. BUT YOU DID because of your positive outlook and energy. Sure, there are down times....many i'd assume....but what awaits you when you recover allows you to slug it through. hang in there. the worst is over. sometimes the last few weeks are unbearable knowning that you are abt to leave. Hala, everything will work out. don't fret over BA or the passports. look beyond that to what awaits you when you and Zee are fully recovered and back in beirut.
hang in there baby!!!!!

Unknown said...

My dear Hala - you are having a bad couple of days and feeling so fed up with it all and you have every reason to do so -- but just temporarily and for those couple of days only -- now we need you to do us a positive reality check!! I can start with a few
reality checks -- 6 months ago you were so much sicker and scared
reality check -- 5 months ago we were all so worried about the bone marrow procedure and now we are so happy with its success
three months ago we did not know how bad or good things were with Zee - today she is responding great to meds and on her way to full recovery.
and the list can go on and one -- reality check on your positive side -- great husband and family who have been amazing and supportive through all of this. reality check you are a great great fighter and your positive happy attitude is a major contributor to your overcoming this.
Passports, tickets, visas are all THINGS -- we put them in perspective to your health and they are just THINGS --- I am sure those around you will find a way to sort things out -- you just worry about your health and zees health and let others worry about (things). I am sure a personal visit with medical records to BA and home office can help sort things out!!!
Keep walking - head up -- and type up that positive list for us.
Love you

Sarah's Bag said...

i can only say again and again that i admire you a lot for what you are and the positiveness and style in which you handle what you are going through.
things are gonna get better
we miss you a lot.
Sarah

Halazeine said...

BIG HALOUL yes it is amazing that we move mountains but then a grain of sand gets in the way and makes us lose sight of the mountain we have moved and overcome.
When I saw your blog today I thought wow, she is really upset about the passport and the tickets more so than all the other things. Then I had to smile I thought well if this is what she worries about then things must at this point start taking a turn to the better. :-)
Love you and it will be over soon and then you will only have small stuff to sweat!
Big hug to you all.

Unknown said...

Thank you for always being there for me (yes u are there for me Hala)...I was feeling like shit over a stupid issue and whining and feeling sorry for myself...and then I read your message....Guess What...

REALITY CHECK: I WHIN A LOT...I NEED TO REMIND MYSELF OF HOW LUCKY I AM TO HAVE SURVIVED CANCER...

Hugs and thanks again for the reality check.

ZanBarrage said...

Habibti Hala,

Believe it or not, you are normal. We all have ups and downs and that day was a down for you. Of course your down days involve issues few of us can handle as well as you do, but give yourself a break. You will have down days and that is life!

Just remember we all love you and are rooting for you and Zee.